Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Do You Want To Build A Snowman?


I know, I know, if you’re somewhere in the eastern three-quarters of the US and Canada, you’re probably sick of the whole idea of snow. And cold. And wind chill. And silly people throwing boiling water *over their heads*, then being surprised when it doesn’t all freeze immediately and ends up giving them painful burns.

That said, regardless of your personal love (or lack thereof) for all things winter, if you haven’t seen Frozen yet, go do it.

Now. Seriously. I’ll wait.

I almost didn’t see it, at least in the theater. My kids are getting older, on the outer range of “seeing Disney movies with mom is cool”. In fact, the youngest went to see it with Grandpa and the two of them reported back that it was “boring”.
That was that, I thought. I was no longer parent to Disney-going progeny. I’d have to catch it on cable or something down the road.

Then Midkid kept bringing it up. “Mom. It stars IDINA MENZEL. We have to go.”

So last weekend, we went, bringing along FutureStar and Grandma, who was still a little irritated that Grandpa had seen it without her, too.

And for the next hour and whatever minutes, the four of us sat, enthralled, as Disney wove that magic I remembered from when I was a kid.

The main characters were complicated, strong, and interesting. The songs were catchy and emotional. The art was spellbinding. And the story – let’s just say it turned the easy tropes and expectations sideways, but never in a way that felt cheap or manipulative (at least to me).

I don’t want to give too much away. I went in with very few expectations and little knowledge of the story, and really enjoyed watching the movie unfold. I don’t want to take that opportunity away from anyone.

But once you’ve seen it? Man, I could talk about it for hours with you!


So go ahead. Find a matinee. Take a day off work. I’ll write you a note. Then let me know what you think. 

1 comment:

PG Forte said...

Haven't seen it. I may need to rent some kids. :)