Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New...Everything?

While 2010 was an awesome(ish) year, I did get stuck in a rut. Less writing than I wanted to do. Less housework than I'm proud to admit. Fewer hours at a job (any job!) than I'm comfortable with.

But change is a-comin', I can feel it. Something clicked on in my brain on January 1st. I decided this was the year to get my $#!7 together. I decided that instead of making big, sweeping goals--because those never work out--I'll create daily or weekly bite-sized goals to get me to my end goal of finished manuscripts, an organized house, and successful work/home life.

This week is my research week. I'm a little anal about this--I need to research and organize before I can begin a new project. This is also the week that Kait Nolan's ROW80 begins. I pledged to write for 20 min. a day for 80 days. Whether I sit and stare at the screen or bypass my time limit and continue writing, this is my current goal. When I prove that I can consistently meet it, I'll move on to something bigger.

Flexible goals--I like it. Which is why I'm also starting to practice yoga ;) I have my mat and my DVDs, so the only thing missing is me. Starting a new routine takes 21 days, or so they say, and that's just the amount of time I have before my new job starts, so here goes nothing. I'll do yoga (or pilates or Tai Chi) at least five days a week.

But to do that, my floors must be clean enough for me to roll out my yoga mat. While we aren't crazy-messy here (Our floors are indeed clean and organized), our cabinets and closets are not. And don't get me started on the backyard. Each week, I'm assigning myself an organization task. This week, even though I'm still getting my research on, I'll be organizing my shoe collection. By Sunday, they either need to be posted up on Craigslist or given to the local Goodwill--but they will be moving out of the house.

Finally, to indulge my non-writerly creative side, I'd like to do a craft project every week. Between knitting, crocheting, and DIY beauty products or house repairs, there's plenty to be done. This week, I'm making myself a nice crocheted hat. I'll post pictures on my blog when I'm done.

Now I need your help--where do you go (websites, books, magazines) to get organization, craft, or health inspiration? And how do you set manageable goals for yourself, and make sure you reach them?

Happy belated New Year!!!

5 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Delilah Devlin on her Roses Colored Glasses site has an insanely detailed organizational planner. I took one look and said "No way," but I recognize the impulse!

Skylar Kade said...

Thanks Meg! I'll have to check that out.

kelly said...

Those are great goals Skylar and sound definitely more doable than big goals.I like to plan but settting goals always seems like setting myself up for failure. Small goals, though...great idea!

PG Forte said...

I don't do organized, unless it's for a book. I blame it on the frequent moving. I did once have a great book on how to organize anything...unfortunately, I lost it and can't remember the name. Oh, well. I'm reasonably certain there are worse things in life than clutter.

Alternately, as my daughter's best friend used to say, "God made dirt. Dirt don't hurt." Words to live by.;)

Skylar Kade said...

Kelly, I'm really bad at following through on big goals, but setting incremental ones just seems so...reasonable. And then I post them EVERYWHERE around the house so I can't pretend to forget about them!

PG, I went through unorganized phases and couldn't deal with the uncertainty of, say, where I'd put my keys. I'm scatterbrained, so without a plan Skylar = headless marathoning chicken. And great quote--perfect for my new gardening binge.