Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Guest Blogger Erica Ridley Q & A


Breaking News: TOO WICKED TO KISS has been selected as a March book
clubpick for Barnes and Noble! Erica will be at the
book club forum all month long, so please stop by to say hi or to talk about
the book! Here's the link: http://bit.ly/bOPvn4

###

What do you do when you're not writing?

Everything! I love to go out to eat, out dancing, to the beach, to amusement
parks, to festivals, to concerts, to the movies, to the park, to museums,
hiking, rollerblading, camping, sitting at home reading, or--my personal
favorite--picking up my laptop and heading off to explore a new corner of
the world.

What's the farthest you've ever been from home?

Hmmm... I'm not sure. The farthest east I've been is either Poland or Greece
(I'm not sure which is technically farther from Florida.) And the farthest
south I've been is Costa Rica. As much as I love Europe and Latin America, I
admit there's still much of the world I would like to see someday. Among a
list of many, I'm absolutely dying to visit Asia, Australia, and New
Zealand.

Is your publisher sending you on a book tour?

Um... no. From what I understand, it's a huge expense and even the
superstars rarely go on big tours. There's nothing to stop the author from
striking out on her own (well, okay, there's that pesky Visa card limit) and
I actually do have a few signings set up. I'm doing two this month in Tampa,
the first being my launch party and the second being a group signing with a
bunch of fabulous authors: Virginia Henley, Betina Krahn, Roxanne St.
Claire, C.L. Wilson, Jeanie London, Kathy Carmichael, Ann Jacobs, Susan
Kearney, and Joan Johnston. Next month I'm going to the Readers' Luncheon in
Portland (home of my critique partner Darcy Burke)
and the Spring Fling in Chicago, where I also have friends and family. It
still feels surreal, but very exciting!

What was the trick to getting published?

Hahahaha! The trick was to write, read, study, network, revise, pitch,
query, then start all over again. The first year I decided to take writing
seriously, I wrote two complete books. I joined Romance Writers of America,
found a few critique groups, finaled in a couple contests, and earned my
first handful of rejections from literary agents. I kept writing and
attending workshops and meeting people who knew a lot more about the
industry than I did, and got as far as having an editor request a full
manuscript. The fourth complete book garnered me an agent at a top-notch
literary agency. And although that manuscript ultimately did not sell, the
fifth one (or the second agented one, if you're counting from that point)
did--and that book debuts today!

The Karen Rose cover quote says "Gothic Mystery and Steamy Romance". Do you
agree?

That is exactly the combination I was trying to evoke, so I certainly hope
that is the feel most readers get from reading Too Wicked To Kiss! The
hero, Gavin Lioncroft, is dark, dangerous, suspected of murder--and candidly
admits he's not above resorting to violence if the situation warrants. The
heroine, Evangeline Pemberton, has her own dark secrets, and is on the run
from someone who wants to enslave her and exploit her--and unfortunately has
the legal right to do so. The setting is Blackberry Manor, a foreboding old
mansion whose architecture contains literal Gothic elements, from the arches
in the walls to the secret passageways between. But nothing can hide the
unbidden attraction between them that blossoms from sensual encounters into
true love...
###

HIS TOUCH HOLDS HER CAPTIVE...

From the ravens circling its spires to the gargoyles adorning its roof,
Blackberry Manor looms ominously over its rambling grounds. And behind its
doors, amid the flickering shadows and secret passageways, danger lies in
wait.

TO HIS EVERY DARK DESIRE...

Evangeline Pemberton has been invited to a party at the sprawling estate of
reclusive Gavin Lioncroft, who is rumored to have murdered his parents.
Initially, Gavin's towering presence and brusque manner instill fear in
Evangeline...until his rakish features and seductive attentions profoundly
arouse her. But when a guest is murdered, Evangeline is torn. Could the man
to whom she is so powerfully drawn, also be a ruthless killer?

TOO WICKED TO KISS

###


Where to find Erica:

Author Website: http://www.ericaridley.com

Book Bonus Features: http://www.2wicked2kiss.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EricaRidleyFans

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/EricaRidley

4 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Hi Erica, welcome to the Naughty Nine. Too Wicked to Kiss looks great!

kelly said...

So exciting to have you here Erica! I love the title of your book and the cover's gorgeous. Congtratulations on your release, you must be so thrilled!

Erin Nicholas said...

Hi, Erica! What a great title... and a forboding old mansion... I'm already hooked! *G* Congrats on the release!
Erin

Erica Ridley said...

Meg: Thank you so much!

Kelly: The marketing/art department did such a fantastic job that I totally sent them a fangirl email squeeing over the cover! LOL

Erin: Thanks! Blackberry Manor was such a fun setting to write about! =)